Actually, it’s much more than that.
But I can now tell you that this man became my 1,000th follower today. He is @RoOkin, he dislikes most foods and he lives in Chichester. That’s all I know. But he’ll always have a special place in my heart.
As will this man
Richard Herring (@Herring1967) is one of my favourite comedians – go and see his ‘Christ On A Bike’ show, whatever you do.
In an idle moment this afternoon, when I should have been booking my slot at this year’s Edinburgh Festival, I dropped him an email at his website (www.richardherring.com). I didn’t honestly expect to hear back from him. But a couple of hours later, I received an excited phone call from a friend saying I should look at my Twitter numbers.
I’d already been thrilled that I’d climbed up to 695 in the last couple of days, but was getting a little frustrated at not yet reaching the elusive 700. Well, I was now, 20 minutes after Richard’s tweet, in the high 800’s and still they came. When it reached 995, I had to phone someone to steady my nerve as we each refreshed the page and saw the numbers steadily climb. It was like a virtual New Year countdown. We plateaued for a few minutes on 999. We refreshed…, we refreshed again…, and finally… 1,000.
Thank you, Richard, and thank you @RoOkin. I never realised having a Twitter account could be so exciting!
The number of visitors to this blog thing have been phenomenal today as well, so thanks to everyone who’s had a look around and played the videos, etc.
Here are some of my favourite comments from today:
- Sekojiet @richardrycroft un palīdziet īstenot viņa mērķi https://richardrycroft.net/2010/12/28/twitterquest lūdzu RT (@azisnomarsa – you see, silence crosses the language barrier! I believe this is Latvian)
- Please follow @richardrycroft – he is trying to be most followed tweeter who never tweets – http://tinyurl.com/34bagf4 (@ Herring1967)
- If you don’t follow @richardrycroft you have Twissues. (@Lyvit)
- Teeheehee. @richardrycroft literally never tweets, but is trying to get more followers than anybody else. There is no reason not to follow! (@JenniePritchard)
- I’m all for pointless, I’m fed up of everything needing a reason. Nice project.. (@richardrycroft) (@myfunclub)
As this goes to press, I have just passed the 1,100 mark. That’s 1,100 people following me BECAUSE I never tweet. I can’t begin to tell you how happy this is making me. We’re on our way to global pointlessness, guys!
I still have lots of people to ‘follow back’ and I might not get to everyone tonight or tomorrow, but rest assured, I’ll be returning the compliment as soon as possible.
And remember, if you don’t already,
YOU SHOULD FOLLOW ME AT TWITTER HERE:
If you don’t know what this is all about, the original TwitterQuest post is here: https://richardrycroft.net/2010/12/28/twitterquest/
Pingback: The 1000th Follower | What's with today, today?